Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Water Taxi!

On Friday the kids and I were itching to get out of the apartment so I convinced Rodney that after work we should go to the IKEA home store in Brooklyn so I could get a few things on my list for the apartment.  I thought it would be fun for the kids because to get there you take the subway and then you can take a water taxi which looks just like this:

The kids were so excited for our adventure and did great on the subway and also on the boat.  They have been asking about trying out the subway since they got to do a taxi ride earlier in the week.  On the way out to Brooklyn we got a good look at the Statue of Liberty and of the city skyline and it was a nice cool night.  We spent about an hour at IKEA and then hopped back on the water taxi to come home.  Well the whole way back across the river a storm was coming in and Rodney and I both kept looking at each other.  We walked at least 6 blocks to the Pier from the subway so if it started to rain we were going to get soaked just getting to the subway.  So we decided the best idea was to just grab a taxi and take it all the way home.  Well in New York when there is one drop of rain there are also NO taxis to be found....they are all very quickly taken by other unprepared pedestrians.  We managed to stay under awnings and coverings and then made a run for it to the nearest subway.  So after SEVERAL (Blake would say one million) different trains we made it home.  There were a few trains out of service because of the storm which led to a few more stops/jumps for us....with a stroller and 3 kids it proved to be quite the workout for Rodney and I.  The kids hung in there but were definitely ready for bed right when we got home.
Here are some pictures from our evening:

On the Subway:


On the Water Taxi, they looked out the window the whole time.

 Avery LOVES her rings and was relatively happy for most of the trip.  She nearly fell asleep while on the boat.  Rodney and I were both wondering if we would find out if anyone in our little family gets seasick....luckily no, they all were fine.  WHEW!

Here are just a couple of quick shots from tonight.  We have this nice soft carpet purchased with a crawling baby in mind and she finds her way over to the hardwood floor whenever she can.  She isn't crawling yet but gets anywhere she wants by rolling and rolling all around the room.  

I said "Avery Kate, get back on the carpet"....and I was met with this face.

No comments:

Post a Comment